Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Reading through the teacher's tears

You know how elementary teachers usually have one advanced chapter book that they read to the children usually after lunch when the kids are in that sleepy digestive mood? The purpose is to help children get accustomed to sophisticated story structures that are beyond their current reading ability. It builds the mental constructs of literacy quite nicely.

So, Aee's teacher let me know this morning, "I was doing Read Aloud for the class and near the end the story is so touching... I started crying and couldn't get through the book so I asked your daughter to read. She sat on my chair and finished the chapter while I dried myself off."

I could easily picture that. Aee has the steely nerves of a surgeon -- she would have grit her teeth and read loudly and clearly so all the children could hear the end of the story.