Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Mom's needs / Kid's needs

I spend far too much time cooking.

But, I like giving my kid's homecooked meals.

I wish my kids had more cooking skills, but they don't seem to be interested in cooking, or helping me cook. They just like to hang out in the kitchen while I am cooking.

I have made the kitchen warm and inviting. Candles. Relaxing music. Happy voices. But helpers disappear quickly. I often feel like the Little Red Hen.

I haven't seen much cooking interest in my kiddos except for Kee who sometimes makes us Belgian waffles on Saturday mornings. Do you know what it is like to wake up to Belgian waffles made by your teenager? It's the best feeling in the world.

Notwithstanding, I still have two problems -- me wanting less kitchen work + kids needing a boost in their kitchen skillz.

Here's my potential solution. I'll let you know how it goes.

Each kid is in charge of dinner one day a week.

Jee -- Tues
Kee -- Wed
Vee -- Thurs
Aee -- Fri

I get Saturdays as usual (and we often eat out, yeah!) and I like cooking on Mondays (one of those cook-ahead-on-busy-day meals). Eee gets Sundays as always and he does a great job.

I tried the new potential solution tonight for the first time. As I explained it to Jee, I could see the resistance building in his eyes. He did not want another chore. So I said, "But, think about it. You'll get to pick whatever you want for dinner."

His eyes lit up and I think we have a deal.

Right now there is chicken & pasta on the stove, cornbread in the oven and a salad will be made closer to dinner time.

Why didn't I think of this sooner? I hope it works.