Friday, August 15, 2008

Best Edge #1

I have been holding on by the skin of my teeth these last few weeks. I'll post more about it later, but for now I wanted to do a short series of my favorite nuggets of wisdom that I have collected from friends.

These are things I am trying to implement and I don't want them to slip through my fingers, so I am giving them a smidge of permanence on my blog. I am calling them the "Best Edge" bits. "Best" because they have risen to the top over any other concepts I have heard and "Edge" because they are the types of concepts that slice through the fog.

Best Edge #1 -- What will I regret the least?

What an awesome tool for making choices! I heard this from a lady who lives thoughtfully and honestly so I thought I would give it a try.

You know what?

I make very different choices when I consider which choices I will regret the least later.

Example: Today was brutal, one of those days where no matter how hard I work and how well I schedule and how much I delegate, there is just now way to reach "good enough". So... I had to find another way to deal with it.

I used all my standard methods of decision making and none brought any clarity to my set of choices. It wasn't until I considered, "What task list will bring the least regret by the end of the day?" With that, I had complete clarity. I spent the day prepping the rental unit for new tenants.

Super cool bonus: The kids worked alongside me, learning all sorts of skills. The Big Boys did quite a bit of manual labor, stayed focused, exercised their persistence. My favorite bit was seeing them, when faced with a seeminly undoable task, grit their teeth and find a way to complete the task well anyway.

Another favorite was seeing my little girl using the screwdriver to resecure all the light switch plates. I didn't even have to tell her what to do, just said, "Hey, could you put these back on?"

She went at it like a seasoned construction worker.

I also noticed that "What will I regret least later?" also changes what I say and mostly what I don't say.

One comment I am hearing a lot, "You have been so quiet lately..."

Ha.