Monday, June 30, 2008

The Magic Word

My daughter has discovered the one magic word that goes straight to my heart. I can not say "No" to her when she uses this word in a request.

Is it, "Please"?

No.

Is it, "Pretty please darling Queen Mother?"

Heavens, no.

It is a phrase that took me by surprise the first time she used it. She was asking me to come read her a story. I was busy (oh, how I hate this story!) and told her I would be there in a minute.

She lowered her voice, calmed her little body, and said with the utmost sincerity, "I ask you to come now... Namaste." She held her little hands together perfectly as if in prayer. She did the little bow. If you haven't seen it, the wiki describes it like this:

"When spoken to another person, it is commonly accompanied by a slight bow made with hands pressed together, palms touching and fingers pointed upwards, in front of the chest."

Her eyes softened; her little head bowed; and she pronounced the words that went like a dagger straight into the soft spot between my exterior dragon scales.

Why would "Namaste" effect me like this? Because it is one of those rare, purely powerful words. When you do yoga, a really good session of yoga in particular, and get to the "Namaste" part, it feels amazing. Amazing I tell you! It is a poignant word / image / sensation.

Literally, "Namaste" means, "The Divinity within me perceives and adores the Divinity within you." When your little daughter, a gift from above, so sincerely says that...

There is no other answer besides, "Yes."