Thursday, June 12, 2008

Shaping the brain; training neural pathways

I like to post quotes around the house. The kids (and I!) see the quotes and the content seeps in subconsciously, re-routing thoughts, training certain desired neural pathways, and eventually ending up as behavior. It goes like this:

1. Notice a concept or behavior that needs work.
2. Find a pithy quote that sums up the desired change.
3. Watch to see how long it takes for the change to be noticeable on a behavioral, ie permanent level.

I have been doing this since 1984 (started as a kid), but I have never kept track of the quotes. It sure would be fun to see what has shaped my path.

I'll try to track the current posts here:

* Quitting is not an option; Failure is not an option.

* Every single interaction between two human beings is an act of leadership.

* The more constraints one imposes, the more one frees one’s self. And the arbitrariness of the constraint serves only to obtain precision of execution.

* The Roman Rule: The one who says it cannot be done should never interupt teh one who is doing it.

* I care not so much what I am to others as what I am to myself. I will be rich by myself, and not by borrowing. --Michael de Montaigne

* What we do upon some great occasion will probably depend on what we already are; and what we are will be the result of previous years of self-discipline. -- H. P. Liddon

* The strong man is the one who is able to intercept at will the communication between the senses and the mind. --Napoleon Bonaparte

* We do hard things.

...more to come. I need to wander around the house and see what else I have posted at the moment.