Sunday, December 16, 2007

Bring it on

We had an amazing talk today about giving and *receiving*. It illuminated a few dark & dusty corners of my mind. It made me think about gratitude (fully accepting a gift, any type of gift) and how that gratitude makes you: 1. healthier, 2. more enjoyable to be around, and 3. open to future benefit.

The talk also made me think (yes, the pessimist came out for a moment): "Well, what if the gift really stinks? What if I don't want the purple sequined blouse with matching sequined socks?" or even worse, "What if I am actually offended by the gift? Like my friend whose husband bought her an exercise machine because, 'Well, aren't you worried about your thighs too?' What if it is an unequivocally yucky gift?"

As the divinely beautiful speaker was filling out the content of her talk (which was far more pleasant than my pessimistic musings in the background), I remembered what Paul said: "Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me." (2 Corinthians 12:9)

Everything and I mean everything can be for our benefit if we so choose.

So, today I choose to accept the massive pile of dishes in the sink as a gift of time with my kids (who will help me even if it kills them).

And I choose to accept the challenge of teaching my children to come to me when they have a question rather than bellow "MOMMY!" (Isn't that typically the other way around, mother bellowing for children?)

I choose to accept my husband and children's help with various tasks as the day progresses even if their help is (from a child-who-shall-not-be-named) "Mom can I help?" then s/he proceeds to goof off persistently while in the work area where others are actually completing the work.

The talk covered "receiving the gift" whether it is socks, a beloved heirloom, or the Atonement. You receive; you are grateful; you are blessed. The whole talk centered around accepting loving interaction with others, perhaps as practice for accepting the ultimate?

So, our SSR time is up. Momma must stop blogging and get on with giving and receiving. Kudos to the dear sister who shook a little dust off of this part of my brain. Thank you.

I received your message to the best of my current ability.

Thank you.