Saturday, December 15, 2007

Chocolate headache

One our partners sent us a box of chocolates for Christmas. I ate one. On an empty stomach.

Stupid.

Stupid.

Stupid.

Chocolate reduces your blood pressure, which for most people is a good thing, relaxing. But, for someone whose blood pressure is already too low, maybe not?

Chocolate on an empty stomach makes my head throb. The vessels restrict, tighten, like hundreds of little constrictors in my head.

Ouch.

Ouch.

Ouch.

When will I ever learn to respect my body's unique needs over the cultural norms?

From the wikipedia: "Research has shown that heroin addicts tend to have an increased liking for chocolate; this may be because it triggers dopamine release in the brain's reinforcement systems[22] — an effect, albeit a legal one, similar to that of cocaine."

And I would make a very poor druggie.

I like veggies, good sleep, good exercise, and that whole moderation thing.

Chocolate? Yeah, I know it's great for most people, but not for me.

So, if you ever give me a chocolate treat and I thank you with an "Oh great. Thanks A LOT." please don't take offense.