Thursday, December 13, 2007

Code Monkey

A song that plays in our house several times a day is "Code Monkey" by Jonathan Coulton, a crazy-good musician who releases his songs freely.

Seemingly unrelated: Vee and Kee love their Latin class. With a passion.

Even more unrelated: I need to get back in shape. I'm realizing that my brain is as mushy as my calves.

Possibly related? There's a marathon in Rome. Wait, no, Rome is where THE marathon concept began. (Feel free to mock me for my initial ignorance there.)

Related, unfortunately: I tried seriously plunging back into running again.

Horribly related: Yesterday we went out running: me, Kee, and Jee (little one on a scooter). With ear buds in each person's ears, we stretched, warmed up for a few blocks, then Code Monkey came on for my player.

My thoughts: "Hey! I can run for this entire song, no problem. The rhythm is perfect for running." My words: "Come on kids, keep up!"

Half way through I was breathing very hard, remembering what it was like to really push it. A bit further I was wondering how long the blasted song was. (Three minutes and seven seconds.) By the end, I thought I was having a mild heartache, but I made it and ended with a flourish (sprint). New goal = try to run through the "Code Monkey" song without keeling over.

Pathetic in a geeky sort of way.

Now, let's see if I can tie all these unrelated bits of life together in one sentence:

We're training to run the Rome marathon in March 09 and Code Monkey is the initial get-off-yer-bum motivation.

Ha!