Monday, January 28, 2008

Good, Better, Best, part 3

After all this ramp-up to the Good, Better, Best discussion (which was a *laugh-riot*), I saw a bit more clearly my own little personal insight that had been lurking around the corners all week. Here it is in all its wondrous glory:

Why "Best"? During the discussion, we talked about how it's ok to only choose the good, to relax, take a break, yadda, yadda, sometimes "good" is good enough. Well... perhaps that's fine and good and wonderful for others, but it didn't ring true for me. Here's my scenario: half of the time, I feel like I'm drowning. As I doggy-paddle, am I looking for little arm-floaties or am I looking for the biggest, most boyant life raft I can find? You guessed it -- I'm looking for the best because you know what? I'm tired.

At the root, it's a delightfully simple matter. Applied to everyday, am I going to watch the movie with my kids (good), read them stories (better), or have face-to-face, heart-to-heart discussions with them (best)? Chuck the movie, save stories for bedtime, and sit down for the conversation.

The Good, Better, Best filter is such an effective mechanism for determining right action (yes, that is a whisper of Buddhism).

So, each person uses the mechanism differently, it scales well to every particular life, but for me, in this time and season I can only afford the best. It isn't a matter of achievement level, it's a matter of situational need.

For example, for dinner, it's the foods that will give me the best level of energy (anything less and I'll be an incoherent blob tomorrow); at night it's the reading material that will give me the best quality sleep (or I'll be wide awake at 1 am); during the day, it's the focus (ARG) that will give me the best quality work output (easier said than done); and with my kids, it's the activities that will give them the best sense of momma-loves-me (because heaven knows there's not enough of me to go around).

I think those with more rich reserves can probably afford more Good & Better choices in their lives. For me, in this particular season I need to be surrounded by the Best in order to survive & thrive. So... I guess the logic could follow that if you're reading this blog, you probably know me, and if you know me, then I have chosen to have you in my life, and if you're in my life, you're The Best!

Hehe. =)